Re: Question to all candidates: what to do with the Debian money, shall we invest in hardware and cloud?

Hi,

Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote on 27/03/2024 at 00:24:30+0100:

> Hi,
>
> As you know, there's a large amount of money sleeping in SPI account
> for Debian. Do you have ideas on how to spend it?
>
> Would you be ok spending 100k USD on buying hardware for a new Debian
> cloud, for example? I've always volunteered to operate it for Debian,
> but it never went through, because I haven't spent time to find where
> to host it and so on, but highvoltage liked the idea. Do you like this
> idea? Do you think it'd be useful for Debian?

Please, let's take some time to think about the implications of spending
a shitload of money to buy hardware that we wouldn't know where to host,
and that would require a load of maintenance and time.

If any discussion should arise on these matters, I'd rather them to
occur not as a platform for a DPL candidate but after a reasonable
discussion with the concerned parties, eg, DSA.

> Also, I found very annoying that we don't have enough buildd, or that
> the reproducible build project doesn't have as much hardware as they
> would like. Would it be ok to spend another 100k USD for this kind of
> things?

Same, with slightly less concern regarding hardware volume and
maintenance.

--
PEB