Re: Question to all candidates: what to do with the Debian money, shall we invest in hardware and cloud?

Hi!

On 2024/03/27 12:25, Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:
Would you be ok spending 100k USD on buying hardware for a new Debian
cloud, for example? I've always volunteered to operate it for Debian,
but it never went through, because I haven't spent time to find where
to host it and so on, but highvoltage liked the idea. Do you like this
idea? Do you think it'd be useful for Debian?

Please, let's take some time to think about the implications of spending
a shitload of money to buy hardware that we wouldn't know where to host,
and that would require a load of maintenance and time.

If any discussion should arise on these matters, I'd rather them to
occur not as a platform for a DPL candidate but after a reasonable
discussion with the concerned parties, eg, DSA.

I'm trying not to respond to too many mails here because I don't want to take away too much attention from the candidates, but I also don't think we have a problem of money heaping up anymore. Across the project, our financial needs are mostly met, and it helps having some reserve cash for a rainy day.

Also on the DSA front, they have just filed a request two weeks ago for upgrades at UBC in the range of $110-$160k, so it's not like we're spending nothing on hardware either! Also, every single hardware request over the last 4 years (whether from DSA or from a DD) has been approved. I hope that's something that our new DPL will continue doing so for every reasonable request going forward as well!

-Jonathan