Re: Possible draft non-free firmware option with SC change

On Thu, Sep 08, 2022 at 05:22:58PM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> > The reason I'm in favor of changing the SC is not that I believe it to
> > be a good thing, but that I think we need to stay relevant for running
> > on actual hardware, and changing the SC now is the only way to do so
> > given that the actual hardware is non-free.
>
> What has changed making us fear Debian's relevancy,
More hardware is now shipped without soldered firmware.
And more distros are actually usable on such hardware unlike Debian.

> and is compromising on our ideals the best way to deal with that?
We are already compromising on our ideals, see SC4, SC5 and what does FSF
think about that.

> I recall the same situation with hardware requiring non-free software
> since I started with computers and free software back in the mid 1990's.
It wasn't the same, but sure, keeping usability on the 1995 level is
directly harmful to Debian's relevancy.
You may be also confusing firmware and drivers.

--
WBR, wRAR