Re: Possible draft non-free firmware option with SC change

Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> writes:

> The reason I'm in favor of changing the SC is not that I believe it to
> be a good thing, but that I think we need to stay relevant for running
> on actual hardware, and changing the SC now is the only way to do so
> given that the actual hardware is non-free.

What has changed making us fear Debian's relevancy, and is compromising
on our ideals the best way to deal with that?

I recall the same situation with hardware requiring non-free software
since I started with computers and free software back in the mid 1990's.
The challenge will continue be the same as long as there is proprietary
software.  The amount of hardware compatible with free software is
enourmously larger today than it was back then.  I don't see that Debian
or other free software projects having become less relevant over the
years.  In fact, I perceive sticking to these principles (while offering
high quality products and processes) has been instrumental to shift the
proprietary software industry our way.  People will continue to talk bad
about free software, and promote proprietary software, but I am hoping
Debian will be a factor against that.

/Simon