Re: "official" image terminology Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

Hey Ross!

On Thu, Sep 08, 2022 at 08:04:24AM -0700, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 08, 2022 at 11:38:09AM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> I don't think the word "official" is defined or used in any foundational
>> document, nor that its meaning is well agreed on or actually helps the
>> discussion.
>
>I had assumed "official" was in more common usage.  It seems like that's
>false.  Since the cloud team uses that term, here's a bit of detail I
>can offer.
>
>The best doc that I know of is here:
>  https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DPL/OfficialImages
>This tracks Steve's usage from earlier in the thread.  The cloud team
>uses it like this too --- we probably got it from him, back when he was
>on the team.  We also used to have DSA members on the team who seemed
>keen on the term.
>
>So while it doesn't appear in any foundational document, it does have
>traction amongst folks that are affected by these issues.

Nod. It's been in common use amongst a number of teams over the
years. It's been useful particularly when denoting stuff that is *not*
official but still distributed by various Debian teams - e.g. test
builds or builds including non-free bits. It's been a subject of
discussion with the trademark team in the past, too.

“Changing random stuff until your program works is bad coding
 practice, but if you do it fast enough it’s Machine Learning.”
   -- https://twitter.com/manisha72617183