Re: Possible draft non-free firmware option with SC change

On Thu, Sep 08, 2022 at 04:45:50PM +0200, Simon Richter wrote:
> > As-is (that is: "changing only SC5 with a 3:1 majority") seems to be one very
> > simple way to express the change we (some of us) want.
>
> It's the change we need to do in order to be consistent, so "want" is a
> pretty strong word here.
>
> It is a marked step back from our principles and will be perceived as such,
> and it will also be a disservice to our users if we don't at the same time
> start lobbying harder for free, user-controlled computing infrastructure,
> because ultimately the future of free software hinges on whether there can
> be another generation of tinkerers, or if they will be locked out and
> relegated to working for free to add value to proprietary offerings.
Again, this assumes the firmware problems only exist when the said
firmware is loadable, which is wrong.
Lobbying for free, user-controlled hardware shouldn't depend on actual
user-perceived installation problems if it's about ideology.

--
WBR, wRAR