"official" image terminology Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

On Thu, Sep 08, 2022 at 11:38:09AM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> I don't think the word "official" is defined or used in any foundational
> document, nor that its meaning is well agreed on or actually helps the
> discussion.

I had assumed "official" was in more common usage.  It seems like that's
false.  Since the cloud team uses that term, here's a bit of detail I
can offer.

The best doc that I know of is here:
  https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DPL/OfficialImages
This tracks Steve's usage from earlier in the thread.  The cloud team
uses it like this too --- we probably got it from him, back when he was
on the team.  We also used to have DSA members on the team who seemed
keen on the term.

So while it doesn't appear in any foundational document, it does have
traction amongst folks that are affected by these issues.

That page describes itself as not final - but it's changed little since
2013.  It doesn't offer an opinion on some of the issues being raised
since it just says "the image includes only software available in
Debian".

Hope that's useful,
Ross