Re: Possible draft non-free firmware option with SC change

Ansgar <ansgar@debian.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2022-09-12 at 21:03 +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> My experience is the same as you describe, with the free installer:
>> if you pick the right hardware, Debian works directly today.
>
> By "right hardware", I assume you mean hardware that comes with already
> preinstalled non-free software?

Yes, or (preferrably) hardware that does not come with non-free software
at all.

> Does choosing only hardware with preinstalled non-free software
> (instead of partially OS-supplied non-free firmware) make the non-free
> software more free?

I don't believe so, no.

>> What it seems this vote is about is to go back to the time where a
>> non-free work is required before you can get to the decent free
>> environment.
>
> Try removing all non-free firmware then. Your system won't boot, not
> display anything and you won't be able to input anything either.

I think you (and Simon McVittie in his email) assume that I have as much
of a problem with non-free works that comes with my system as I do with
non-free works that comes from Debian.  I don't.

Lenovo never promised that my laptop would not contain any non-free
software, and their commercial compromise to be able to sell a laptop is
understandable.  I prefer if that wasn't the case, and buy machines
built in a different way (say Purism Libre or Talos II), but I chose to
use my laptop anyway given its limitations.

My reason for using Debian is that I can rely on getting a 100% free
system, and then add non-free works on top of it when I chose to do so.

For example, I install the firmware-iwlwifi package on my laptop because
I haven't been bothered to replace the wifi module with an Atheros wifi
module yet, even though I bought it five years ago.  This flexibility
suits me well, and it does not seem to be in conflict with the
flexibility you appear to desire: using a non-free installer to install
these things automatically for you.  My flexibility will no longer be
permitted by Proposal A and E.

/Simon