Re: Possible draft non-free firmware option with SC change

Le jeudi, 8 septembre 2022, 07.14:09 h CEST Russ Allbery a écrit :
> Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <odyx@debian.org> writes:
> > Thanks for that proposal Russ!
> >
> > While we're at updating the Social Contract's article 5, what about a
> > more invasive cleanup, to reflect reality ?
>
> [...]
>
> > What about this (which adds the non-free-firmware area, replaces "CD
> > manufacturers" with "installation media providers", replaces "on their
> >
> > CD" with "on their installation media":
> >> The Debian Social Contract is replaced with a new version that is
> >> identical to the current version in all respects except that the point 5
> >>
> >> reads as follows:
> >>     5. Works that do not meet our free software standards
> >>     We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of works that
> >>     do
> >>     not conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We have created
> >>     "contrib", "non-free" and "non-free-firmware" areas in our archive
> >>     for
> >>     these works. The packages in these areas are not part of the Debian
> >>     system, although they have been configured for use with Debian. We
> >>     encourage installation media providers to read the licenses of the
> >>     packages in these areas and determine if they can distribute the
> >>     packages on their installation medias. Thus, although non-free works
> >>     are
> >>     not a part of Debian, we support their use and provide infrastructure
> >>     for non-free packages (such as our bug tracking system and mailing
> >>     lists). The Debian official media may include firmware that is
> >>     otherwise
> >>     not part of the Debian system to enable use of Debian with hardware
> >>     tha
> >>     requires such firmware.
>
> With Steve's change and a few other tweaks to try to make this a bit more
> concise:
>
>      5. Works that do not meet our free software standards
>
>      We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of works that
>      do not conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We have
>      created areas in our archive for these works. The packages in these
>      areas are not part of the Debian system, although they have been
>      configured for use with Debian. We encourage distributors of Debian
>      to read the licenses of the packages in these areas and determine if
>      they can distribute the packages on their media. Thus, although
>      non-free works are not a part of Debian, we support their use and
>      provide infrastructure for non-free packages (such as our bug
>      tracking system and mailing lists). The Debian official media may
>      include firmware that is otherwise not part of the Debian system to
>      enable use of Debian with hardware tha requires such firmware.
>
> I do think this sounds more up-to-date, and getting rid of "CDs" does feel
> like an overdue edit.  This would also resolve how to phrase the ballot
> option (although someone's going to ask for a diff).  What does everyone
> else think about this?

Yes. Yes. Yes.

(Missing a "t" at the end of "tha*T* requires such firmware")

> Going *way* out on a limb (and to be honest I'm leaning hard against
> proposing this because I think this level of change would require more
> than a week's worth of discussion), I think something like this that
> reorders and trims the section down would be even better:
>
>      5. Works that do not meet our free software standards
>
>      We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of works that
>      do not conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We have
>      created areas in our archive for these works. These packages have
>      been configured for use with Debian and we provide some
>      infrastructure for them (such as our bug tracking system and mailing
>      lists), but they are not part of the Debian system. We encourage
>      distributors of Debian to read the licenses of the packages in these
>      areas and determine if they can distribute these packages on their
>      media. The Debian official media may include firmware from these
>      areas that is otherwise not part of the Debian system to enable use
>      of Debian with hardware that requires such firmware.

As-is (that is: "changing only SC5 with a 3:1 majority") seems to be one very
simple way to express the change we (some of us) want. The "statement of the
day" is a nice addition, but can risk being nitpicked-upon. I'd definitely
second a ballot option that would propose just this.

From my sparse reading of the discussion so far, it now seems clear that the
SC needs amending; not doing so and finding convoluted ways to interpret its
actual version risks creating more confusion and misunderstandings than it
solves. And I think we need the courage to update our foundational documents
when meaningful. Making official Debian Installer images with firmware seems
like one of these important milestones; moments in which Debian-the-project
needs to reflect what we Debian-the-people feel about these things.

(And if we fail at finding the requested majorities to make these changes,
maybe Debian is not the right project to provide these -with-firmware images
from.)

> But as mentioned, I think this is probably too big of a change for this
> point in the process.  (I'll still throw it out there, though, in case
> there's overwhelming sentiment the other way.)

I disagree; this looks precisely like the change I think we should be making.

--
    OdyX