Re: Possible draft non-free firmware option with SC change

Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:

> Many common laptops in the last 5-10 years don't come with wired
> ethernet; it's becoming rarer over time. They ~all need firmware
> working non-basic video, and audio also needs firmware on some of the
> very latest models. The world has changed here, and I think your
> perceptions may be out of date.

I recall that it took ~5 years until hardware (usually audio, video,
network cards) was well supported with stable releases of free software
distributions in the 1990's.  Often it was never possible to get some
hardware to work with free software, especially laptops.  This has
pretty much been the same since then.  I see no signs of this ever
changing while new hardware that requires non-free software is
introduced.  It takes time until free software works with hardware made
by cooperative manufacturers, and longer for uncooperative
manufacturers.  I don't consider this a problem a free OS can solve.
Maybe the expectations of what hardware Debian should work on has
changed, but my perception is not that the situation was significantly
different 5, 10, 15 or 20 years ago.  I accept that we will have
different views of this.

/Simon