Re: General Resolution: Liquidate donated assets as soon as possible

On Sun, Jun 19, 2022 at 10:37:44AM -0400, Milan Kupcevic wrote:
> On 6/18/22 19:43, Louis-Philippe Véronneau wrote:
> > Under 4.1.5 of the Constitution, the developers by way of GR are the
> > body who has the power to issue nontechnical statements.
> >
> > This is a proposal for Debian to create a guideline for our TOs when
> > they receive donations of non-fiat assets.
> >
> > It is a result of the constructive debate we had on debian-private, and
> > hopefully it will not be too divisive :)
> >
> > ==== Text of GR ====
> >
> > Donations to the Debian project of assets other than the TO's currency
> > of choice should be liquidated as soon as possible.
> >
> > ==== End Text of GR ====
> >

> Pollo,
>
> I trust your best intention but I hold that these decisions should be worked
> out by the Project Leader and/or appointed delegates in coordination with
> TOs and with help of qualified advisers. They might decide to have a general
> rule but they could also weigh in on case by case basis. We should not tie
> their hands by passing a GR.
>
> We may face a monetary inflation in some of the TOs host countries which
> could eat the hard currency up real quick. Thank you for bringing this up to
> the wider audience as it is important to recognize that this problem does
> exist.

I have a similar thinking. In particular, Debian has a treasurer team
that should be able to make a reasonable decision about this without us
having to drag the entire project in it. Were they consulted about this?
Did they disagree with you, and is this your attempt at overriding them?