Re: General Resolution: Liquidate donated assets as soon as possible

Quoting Louis-Philippe Véronneau (2022-06-19 17:25:42)

> >> The definition of "financial asset" on Wikipedia is:
> >>
> >> "A non-physical asset whose value is derived from a contractual claim,
> >> such as bank deposits, bonds, and participations in companies' share
> >> capital."
> > So no cryptocurrency or other probably easily liquidated things?
>
> I'd argue cryptocurrency is a form of financial assets yes. This GR
> would force TOs to liquidate donated cryptocurrency when they receive it
> in the name of the Debian project.

In Denmark, crypto currencies are explicitly not "financial assets" by
the definition you quote: I am legally obligated to report both easily
liquidable financial assets like bonds and more complicated ones only
potentially later holding value (mentioning here to clarify that it is
not a matter of needing to report only what is immediately taxed), but
only when I "liquidate" crypto currencies is the resulting trade
evaluated regarding taxes: My understanding is that he danish government
do not currently want to collect taxes of "toy money" because that would
also mean that they would need to accept tax *deductions* from loss of
same "toy money".

My point is *not* to invite a debate about how to interpret this, only
to point out that your proposed GR is too vague.  If obvious to you what
you propose, then perhaps you need to expand with references to the
definitions you find obvious - i.e. something more substantial than
above quoted text if your intent is for the definition to unambiguously
include crypto currencies!

That said, you will not have my support for this bill - I agree with
others suggesting we leave it to the appointed leader and delegated
teams.

Kind regards,

 - Jonas