Re: General Resolution: Liquidate donated assets as soon as possible

On 2022-06-18 22 h 47, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> On June 19, 2022 2:40:01 AM UTC, "Louis-Philippe Véronneau" <pollo@debian.org> wrote:
>> Someone pointed out "assets" is very broad, and that would include
>> things like hardware donations (something I don't think would be wise).
>>
>> I would hereby like to amend my proposal by replacing "assets" by
>> "financial assets":
>>
>> ==== Text of GR ====
>>
>> Donations to the Debian project of *financial* assets other than the
>> TO's currency of choice should be liquidated as soon as possible.
>>
>> ==== End Text of GR ====
>
> I'd suggest you also provide a definition.  Do you intend to prevent a TO from accepting donated frequent flyer miles and keeping them long enough to provide an airplane ticket to someone who can't otherwise afford to go to Debconf?  I'd say that the current text would require them to be converted to cash and I don't think that would be the best thing.

The definition of "financial asset" on Wikipedia is:

"A non-physical asset whose value is derived from a contractual claim,
such as bank deposits, bonds, and participations in companies' share
capital."

I think this definition is pretty standard and I don't really see the
need to include it in the GR.

It's not clear to me frequent flyer miles, at least in the USA, are seen
as financial assets [1], as they apparently don't need to be reported to
the IRS? I'm not an accountant though, and I'm not sure I want to have a
debate on this :)

As for donation of said miles (which, TIL, is a thing, but only to
charities selected by the organisation that issues them), I think this
is an edge case and I doubt very much it'll ever happen.

If someone someday convinces American Airlines they should add SPI to
their list of charities, I guess it would only be reasonable that SPI
spends them on a plane ticket, as I don't think you can sell frequent
flyer miles.

Cheers,

[1]: https://www.journalofaccountancy.com/issues/2012/aug/20125796.html

--