Re: eMail voting (was GR: Hide Identities of Developers Casting a Particular Vote)

On Mon, Mar 07, 2022 at 06:41:54PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> >At the same time it relaxes the requirement that the secretary must
> >conduct a vote via email.  There are no current plans to move away from
>
> This is a very bad idea.
>
> Alternative solutions may
> • have accessibility problems (not work with lynx, for example)
> • require different transport (eMail can be done in batches)
> • be tricky to do with PGP signatures (and substituting web-ish
>   logins has its own kind of trouble (not least with lynx compat))
> • require more on the system, especially if it does not work with
>   lynx (such as heavy-weight UI with JS-capable browsers)
> • be more easy to filter (think countries’ web firewall) than eMail
> • have age requirements (many web services exclude minors for no
>   good reason)

The main reason we should stick with email is that so far every
Debian developpers has agreed to communicate within Debian by email
when joining. Moving to another system would be potentialy divisive with
little benefit.

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.