Re: Reaffirm public voting

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL dijo [Fri, Mar 04, 2022 at 01:08:33PM +0100]:
> Hi,
>
> I think we can establish a limitation between "secret" and "wiser
> secret". I can understand that making vote transparent and secret is
> likely not possible. And I am not sure that it is the purpose. The
> purpose is not to see displayed on a public website one name related
> to a GR and a vote.

An idea just floated to me :-) The reason our GRs are called General
Resolutions and not, ahem, "votes" (except when we talk about them
informally or want to write in fewer characters) is IMO because Debian
works as a collective, where we held assemblies, and collectively
discuss, propose and choose among options.

Assemblies are often open (in real-world gatherings). People
argue. When it comes to voting, you know what to expect about most of
the people (those you know best, and those that did the arguing).

Votes come from electoral systems, from larger constituencies. The
stakes are different, yes, but the _participation style_ is also
different. And I think we should remain closer to an assembly than to
an electoral system.

Yes, Debian has grown a lot since our Constitution was
drafted. However, I joined in 2003, approximately where the amount of
DDs stabilized; we have been ~800-1100 people since then. The model
has worked decently for the past twenty years; we had two cases where
private voting could have allowed people to express their opinions
without fear of hate-mail, retaliation or somesuch (the FSF and the
systemd votes, both with a strong political rather than technical
component, even though systemd _is_ technical).

> In other words, while I dont think someone will do a detailed
> investigation to know who voted what (most people just will not want
> to spend energy for this), anyone, including with malicious purpose,
> can visit a web page to see what I voted and do harasment
> then.
>
> While I accept not to be in a full secret, as I am not afraid with
> persons who can do harasment to spend so energy to find this info in
> a deep server or via a hash or whatever, I am worry bif any mad guy
> can see what I voted about a GR as I know the person will not
> hesitate to attack me. Again, we have an example of this, of high
> flame, during RMS GR, and while the most radical persons probably
> did not want to do deep investigations about voters, I think they
> were ready to visit a page and go after voters. I dont know if it
> happent effectively, but given how the vote happent with trials to
> disturb after the campaign time, it is possible.

Voting is a single-time action. If somebody is willing to harass
people with strong viewpoints... It's much easier IMO to go through
the mailing list archives and find who is more active, and not only
find their vote, but their full argumentation. Votes for the most part
_cannot_ really be private for the people most involved in a decision
if we are consistent with our argumentation.

Of course, you argue just the other way, that people will attack us
based on the vote tally. But we are talking -and you expressly
recognize it- about what _could_ happen, not about what _has_
happened.

> The last thing which may justify a such ballot is the idea that "if you dont
> want to see your name related to a vote, just dont vote, you dont have to do
> it, you are free". this may be acceptable for political GRs, but more a
> problem for ambiguous situations.
>
> Hence the importance to make secret possible at least, if not general and
> mandatory.

I agree votes should be "secretizable". But I really hope they don't
become mandatorily secret.