Re: Reaffirm public voting

Hi,

I think we can establish a limitation between "secret" and "wiser secret". I can understand that making vote transparent and secret is likely not possible. And I am not sure that it is the purpose. The purpose is not to see displayed on a public website one name related to a GR and a vote. In other words, while I dont think someone will do a detailed investigation to know who voted what (most people just will not want to spend energy for this), anyone, including with malicious purpose, can visit a web page to see what I voted and do harasment then. While I accept not to be in a full secret, as I am not afraid with persons who can do harasment to spend so energy to find this info in a deep server or via a hash or whatever, I am worry bif any mad guy can see what I voted about a GR as I know the person will not hesitate to attack me. Again, we have an example of this, of high flame, during RMS GR, and while the most radical persons probably did not want to do deep investigations about voters, I think they were ready to visit a page and go after voters. I dont know if it happent effectively, but given how the vote happent with trials to disturb after the campaign time, it is possible.

The last thing which may justify a such ballot is the idea that "if you dont want to see your name related to a vote, just dont vote, you dont have to do it, you are free". this may be acceptable for political GRs, but more a problem for ambiguous situations.

Hence the importance to make secret possible at least, if not general and mandatory.

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL
Debian Developer non uploading
Community team member
Accessibility team member
debian-l10n-french team member
President of Debian France non-profit organization