Re: Informal Discussion: Identities of Voters Casting a Particular Ballot are No Longer Public

Philip Hands dijo [Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 10:36:29AM +0100]:

> Do we have any evidence that either thing happened?
>
> Also, it seems to me that the problem we're considering is that toxic
> people who are not really interested in Debian at all, might stumble
> across Debian voting results, and then use what they find as a reason to
> persecute some of us on-line.  Is that about right?
>
> I have used the results of votes in the past to start conversations with
> people that I disagree with in some issue in order to better understand
> how they came to the other view. One can generally find someone on the
> other side of the argument who you already know and respect, which makes
> it much harder to dismiss them as an idiot. I'd miss that in a properly
> secret ballot.
>
> I don't actually care if our votes are readable by the general public,
> so would one way of addressing the concerns of attracting abuse would be
> to make the tally sheet only available to DDs behind authentication?

I completely agree with Phil here. sometimes I do spend some time
looking at different votes' tally sheets, not only to get the result,
but to understand who votes how. Of course, I might pay attention to a
dozen or so people -- but this project still has a size that allows
for that to be significative!

Possibly we could discuss on a way how to make specific votes private,
if a politically challenging topic is touched. Maybe if we were able
to have a mechanism similar to that of introducing amendments
(er... "ballot options"), where one developer proposes the vote to be
secret, and requires 5 DDs to second the request..?