Re: Informal Discussion: Identities of Voters Casting a Particular Ballot are No Longer Public

Ansgar <ansgar@43-1.org> writes:

> They can already do the same for mailing list communication. Do we want
> to avoid this by making mailing lists non-public (subscribers only, or
> project members only depending on the list)?

Way more people vote than participate in a mailing list discussion about
the vote, which is to be expected.  I think everyone understands there's
not much to be done about participating in public discussions, and decide
to take the risk or not.  In Debian discussions, often someone will come
along and make a similar point that you were going to make, and there's
not much to be gained from repeating the same point, so it's easier to opt
out if participating in the public discussion makes you uncomfortable.

Voting is special because it matters that *you* vote, specifically.
Someone else voting the same way isn't a substitute.