Re: Informal Discussion: Identities of Voters Casting a Particular Ballot are No Longer Public

On Mon, 2022-02-14 at 18:47 -0700, Sam Hartman wrote:
> I think there are problematic uses of votes well beyond harassment
> though.
>
> * After this, I think the next vote is going to be about firmware.
> Do we want companies like Nvidia who may have opinions about how
> distributions should think about freedom looking at how people vote
> when they consider hiring DDs?

They can already do the same for mailing list communication. Do we want
to avoid this by making mailing lists non-public (subscribers only, or
project members only depending on the list)?

> * Do we want ftpmaster members looking back at past votes on firmware
>   and DFSG interpretations before deciding someone is an appropriate
>   candidate?

Do we want ftpmaster to use mailing posts they are aware of from people
to decide this?

> * Would it be reasonable for the DPL to look back at votes to decide
>   whether to delegate to someone?

And the same here.

Mailing list posts seem way more problematic than voting behavior if
you are concerned about opinions being made public. It also covers way
more topics.

Regards,
Ansgar