Re: What does FD Mean

On Sun, Apr 04, 2021 at 10:20:15PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 04, 2021 at 09:49:01PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 02, 2021 at 11:29:58PM +0200, Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:
> > > I'd rather have a None of the Above default option all the time along
> > > with FD. It'd probably help.
> >
> > FD effectively is the same as "none of the above".
>
> Not really, what FD means is: "I vote yes for all of options I ranked higher
> than it, and no for all I ranked lower".
>
> Our voting scheme is a mix of Condorcet, and yes/no.  An option must get at
> least 50% or 75% of "yes" votes, no matter if it's Condorcet winner.
>
> This meaning is mostly destroyed by interpreting FD as "Further Discussion"
> -- it makes people put all other options on the front, instead of just ones
> they agree with.

There are 2 ways the FD option has an effect on the result.

The first option is the quorum requirement. For a GR the quorum is
3*Q, which is around 47 for this vote. 3*Q people need to put the
option above FD to meet the quorum, or the option is dropped.

But the reason for yes/no is the majority requirement. In this GR
all options have a majority ratio of 1. This means more people
need to put the option above of FD than people who put the option
below FD, or the option gets dropped.

Note that you can rank the option the same as FD, which is neither
yes nor no. So it's more than 50% of those votes that voted yes or
no for that option that need to vote yes for the option to be
considered.

There are also 2:1 and 3:1 majority requirements, which you could
translate as 66.6% and 75% need to say yes.

Kurt