What does FD Mean (was: Re: Call for votes on «Statement regarding Richard Stallman's readmission to the FSF board»)

* Russ Allbery: " Re: Call for votes on «Statement regarding Richard Stallman's
  readmission to the FSF board»" (Fri, 02 Apr 2021 16:49:21 -0700):

> Mathias Behrle <mbehrle@debian.org> writes:
>
> > I consider the really great value of current option E that I can indeed
> > vote explicitely that nothing should be done on behalf of the project
> > and that further discussion is *not* needed.
>
> I consider the naming of "further discussion" a wry joke on the fact that
> the above outcome is, uh, unlikely.  Good luck getting everyone in Debian
> to stop discussing something.

I am aware of the fact htat I won't stop discussions, but at least I do not
want to be forced to say 'further discussion' if I just want the contrary.

> I have no real objections to renaming "further discussion" to "none of the
> above"; I just doubt it would accomplish anything and therefore am not
> sure it's worth the effort.

I would be glad if we would put more precise options on the ballot as I put it
in my answer to Sam. Using 'None of the above' instead of 'FD' would be at
least a first step into that direction.

> And personally, not that anyone should make any decisions on this basis, I'm
> kind of fond of the self-aware joke. It's good for us as a project to poke
> fun at our own weaknesses, since it helps us keep them in mind.

Yes, but joke aside it gives me really a hard time to say FD if I want exactly
the contrary.

--

    Mathias Behrle
    PGP/GnuPG key availabable from any keyserver, ID: 0xD6D09BE48405BBF6