Re: Renaming the FTP Masters

Hi Marc

On 2021/11/11 17:29, Marc Haber wrote:
On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 05:37:55PM -0500, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
PS For people who are concerned that a retreat from the term "master" is
    somehow the language police run dangerously amok, it's worth asking
    why you feel so committed to the term "master" that you would fight
    to keep the project we all work on using terminology

there might be people who would oppose the change not because they're
comitted to the term "master" but they feel that we have darn more
important things to do - for example re-gaining technical excellence and
leadership. We haven't been concentrating on technology enough in the
last years.

Well, I would tell these hypothetical persons that you're concerned about that technical excellence and project maintenance go hand in hand, and that you can't have one without the other. On the scale of how large a project change is in terms of changes that we need to make in Debian, this one is really on the smaller end of the scale. There's a lot of work that I've been wanting to push, but I've been patient because we had the release this year, then DebConf, now we have a GR about GRs, and it is probably starting to sound that I'm complaining about these, but I'm not, it's just that making changes- especially changed in Debian, takes time and patience, but they are necessary, and they do not need to block technical work. We do have some serious project-level maintenance backlog, part of my DPL campaign for this year was to help address that. We didn't explore that in too much detail during the voting period, but I do expect that we'll have quite a few decisions coming up that will be significantly more complicated than a team name change, and I hope that we can figure out ways to make sure that everyone is heard and that we don't impede on anyone's work while figuring it all out. But we have to try, we cannot allow project rot to just continue and risk it spreading into other areas.

-Jonathan