Re: Renaming the FTP Masters

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 02:22:48PM +0100, Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:

> Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@debian.org> wrote on 11/11/2021 at 13:56:24+0100:
> > If we as a project allow some to make changes without considering the
> > concerns of those affected by the changes, we are not being faithful
> > to our own principles.
>
> That's true, but it doesn't look like it's what's being done here.
>
> Felix proposed something, and it's being debated. In particular it seems
> most agree that a GR is not an appropriate idea, but rather let
> FTPMaster Team and the DPL convey and find a path if it's relevant.
>
> Apart from that, we were many to raise the opinion that removing the
> "master" term out of "it reminds slavery" motive was not something we
> thought sane.
>
> IOW, it seems, to me, that the project does quite efficiently what is
> expected on these grounds. Opinions are expressed and the discussion
> goes on.
>
> Mind, it's not even close to a flame, so it's actually quite nice!

I agree with you completely.

My words that you quoted were specifically responding to DKG's words:

> > > If someone is excited to improve the project, even if you don't
> > > have the capacity to help them do it, at least *let* them do it!

This seems to imply that objecting to a proposed change is inherently an
obstructionist act.

I haven't expressed an opinion on Felix's initial GR suggestion, but the
discussion that has arisen from it so far seems to have allowed those on
various sides of the matter express their ideas and concerns.  That
seems to be what we as a project value.

Regards,

-Roberto

--