Re: Do we want to Handle Secret Ballots in the same GR as Voting Changes

Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote on 08/11/2021 at 18:21:02+0100:

> [[PGP Signed Part:No public key for 091AB856069AAA1C created at 2021-11-08T18:20:57+0100 using RSA]]
> On Mon, Nov 08, 2021 at 12:12:33PM -0500, Louis-Philippe Véronneau wrote:
>> > I'd like to ask the community whether we'd like to handle secret ballots
>> > now, or in a separate GR.
>> I'd tend to be in favor of making this a separate GR.
> [...]
>> Adding yet another change to this proposal would only make things more
>> complex and make the issues at hand harder to understand.
>
> all of this and additionally personally I'd also find it disrespectful to
> hijack/piggyback (on) Russ' work.

Hi Holger,

Sorry if it seemed (as I'm one of the drafters of the secret ballot and
Russ' proposal, I feel a bit responsible for this) that there was an
attempt to hijack anything.

A bit of context:

When the GR about RMS occurred, I expressed my intent to have some
changes made to the Constitution, in particular regarding secret
voting. Russ reacted because he had also things in his mind he wanted to
see become more concrete and we started a discussion that took quite
some time at a time when I was a bit more available. Sam joined us in
the discussion and Wouter also at some point recently.

Then, and I'm at fault I think (because I got drowned in my personal
life stuff and did not state it clearly to Sam and Russ), things kind of
went under the dust until we attempted to resume.

In the meantime, it became clear that proposing Secret Voting and the
other changes was not going to be easy because it made quite a lot. So
Russ went on with everything except Secret Voting.

Then, we realized that we could probably add Secret voting (if it felt
right to everyone) as the discussion on Russ' proposal didn't go in a
too consuming spiral.

Russ said he was not against the idea.

Hence Sam's mail, which, despite what it could have inspired to you, is
not an attempt to hijack or piggyback any work made by Russ or anyone
else.

I hope this helps.

Cheers! :)

--