Re: Asking DPL to shorten Discussion Period for rms-open-letter

Hi Sam,

Quoting Sam Hartman (2021-03-28 23:55:42)
> There were a lot of messages here, and I may have missed some.

Sorry for my part of that: I wish I were able to express my opinions
more compactly.

> When I last paid attention to this, you were concerned about whether
> the letter was an attempt at public shaming.
> As a personal choice, I reject shaming fairly strongly.
> But now somehow the discussion has moved on to whether the accusation
> in the letter is necessary and whether Debian risks legal issues by
> signing on.

To me it is one and the same issue: I do not want to take part in
bullying/shaming/libel/throwing mud/making accusations and therefore I
don't want Debian to do so either.  That it poses a legal risk is for me
an indication of the underlying issue for me: That it is wrong to do so.

> The legal question is not interesting to me; I think the risk to
> Debian is one I'm quite willing to accept.
>
> But the shaming question is interesting to me (at least under my
> fairly narrow definition of shaming).
> I'd like to see if I'm understanding your argument.
>
> Are you saying that by making an unnecessary accusation we would be
> shaming?
> And so you'd like to understand whether the accusation is necessary to
> understand whether we are shaming?

Yes to both questions.

 - Jonas