Re: concern - proprietary software promotion in Debian

Hi,

Le vendredi 26 mars 2021 à 19:29:33+0100, Pasha a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I saw some people are sending github links to promote their cause.
>
> github is not a free software. It a proprietary service owned by a
> company.
>
> My question is depending on the side a developer choose he has the
> right not to use any proprietary software. right ?

Being a Debian Developer does not by any way mean one should or should
not use any software, be it proprietary or free. It's just a commitment
that our work in Debian will be done with respect to the Debian Social
Contract, the DFSG and the Debian Policy. That is all.

> I saw in some forums discussin they are using discord beside github. (I
> am not 100% sure - because I did not check or read details.)
>
> If it is true, how is it possible people are using non-free software
> and proprietary communication to decide who should be in fsf board or
> not ?

Achieving perfection before giving any opinion is not something that can
work. People using or contributing to the Free Software world should
happily be able to give their opinion whatever platform they want to use
is up to them.

> I feel the developers are supporting this cause are forced to signed up
> for proprietary software/service.
>
> Please, understand this email is about the software/service not the
> cause.
> I dont want to discuss about your personal opinion here.
>
> I would be happy to see Debian has some policy for discouraging
> proprietary software/service for other developers.

There have been discussions about where the project should stand
regarding usage of github et al for their Debian related work. So far I
think nothing paned out, and my personal opinion is that it is far
better that way. (of course, let's not discuss my personal opinion)

Regards,

--
Pierre-Elliott Bécue
GPG: 9AE0 4D98 6400 E3B6 7528  F493 0D44 2664 1949 74E2