Re: Willingness to share a position statement?

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 10:05:44AM +0100, Gerardo Ballabio wrote:
> Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > We *entirely* have the freedom to discriminate based on
> > what people say and do around us. We're not a government.
>
> So only governments should not discriminate people?
>
> > Try a simple thought experiment: if you think that only the law (which
> > country?) has any bearing here, is spam filtering allowed? Should we
> > be allowed to block people from our mailing lists or BTS for sending
> > lots of messages saying "Free Software is awful"?

> You have the right to choose which mail messages you receive.
> You haven't the right to choose which mail messages I send.
> Can you see the difference?

Debian as a project has a right to block your mails so they are not
dissemminated via our servers.

> Similarly, if you don't want to listen to me, you have the right to
> walk away. You haven't the right to silence me.
> If you don't want to work with me, you have the right to quit. You
> haven't the right to get me fired.

Obviously false.  You do not have a right to be the most obnoxious person in
your place of work who drives other people to quit, and people have a right
to demand a work environment free from harrassment.

And why are we having this conversation?  You're not a Debian developer, you
told Debian you were leaving because you disagreed with our policies, and
you don't get a vote.  Do you think you're persuading someone here?

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/