Re: How to leverage money to accomplish high impact Debian projects

Hi,

On 18/03/21 at 20:44 +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> I've been pondering how it might be possible to spend more of Debian's
> money, and it occurred to me that we could allocate a budget to each DD
> which they could spend on pretty-much anything (as long as, for Debian
> funds, the expenditure is allowed under the relevant non-profit
> restrictions that apply to the funds that we hold -- you could apply
> your own criteria of course).

I think that it's important to remember that Debian's money comes from
donations (from individuals and various kinds of organizations). It's
important that we can face those donors and explain how we used their
money to improve Debian, and convince them that we made good use of it,
so that they will donate in the future.

I have doubts that this will be possible with such a plan.

I think that we are already in a state where it has been widely
communicated that Debian has money and can help developers pay for
whatever they need that benefits Debian. The number of declined requests
is probably close to zero. Also, we do not currently require a report
from people getting funded, so there's close to zero administrative
burden.

So I'm not sure there's a problem to solve here. Maybe it's just that
developing Debian does not require that much money.

Hijacking the thread a bit, if I may suggest, one area where we could
maybe spend more money is DebConf, with more travel sponsorship, and
higher-standard accomodation.  On the latter, some of us (me included)
are getting old, and I must admit that the prospect of sharing a room
with others, especially during such an intense event, has not been
particularly motivating. Anyway that's probably a question for when
DebConf can happen non-virtually again.

Lucas