Re: Question to all: Outreach

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 12:32 PM Hector Oron <zumbi@debian.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   First of all, thanks for nominating yourselves to Debian project leaders.
>
>   Debian Outreach looks like an awesome initiative to bring new blood
> into Debian and also people coming from minority groups, however, on
> the other hand, it has been a quite expensive to run for the real
> benefit provided to Debian project. Reading the delegation text:
>     https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/03/msg00011.html.
>   I find 2 out of 3 team coordinators are not Debian
> contributors/developers, and the other seems to be inactive.
>
>   Q: How do you feel on having non-Debian contributors/developers
> being DPL delegates?

While I'm perfectly happy with non-project members being members of
delegated Debian teams, the Constitution is pretty clear that delegations
must be to other Project Members.

   "The Leader may define an area of ongoing responsibility or a specific
   decision and hand it over to another Developer or to the Technical Committee."

I read this to mean that delegated teams must have at least one Debian Project
Member. (At least not without a change in the constitution which is a change I
would not support.)

In your specific example, I believe that we need to check in with the existing
delegate and see if they are in fact inactive and if they are inactive, we'd need
to create a new delegation.

>   Q: Do you see any flaws on the current Outreach setup? If so, how
> would you address them?

Other than your suggestion that the team Delegate may be inactive, I don't know
enough about the current Outreach setup, to know where there might be areas in
need of improvement. If I am elected to DPL, I'd be happy to have a discussion
with you and the team, and will certainly reach out to the Delegate. I will say
that I do generally support Debian's participation in this program, and have
helped fundraise for it in the past. I also believe that there is a fairly
strong project consensus to support internship programs like Outreach and GSoC.

Cheers,
Brian