Re: Costs of running a Debian foundation

* Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> [2020-03-17 12:15]:
> I don't think it would be "cheaper" to run our own foundation, and
> might even end up costing more. I hope I didn't give that impression
> from my platform.
>
> Largely I believe the Debian Project is large enough and mature
> enough that we need dedicated purpose entities that we have more
> direct control over.

Thanks for that clarification.

And no, your platform doesn't give that impression.

I should have given more context when posting my email to make it
clearer that some of my questions were based on comments Brian
previously made in person a few weeks ago and not on what's in his
platform.  It seems Brian's thinking has changed since those comments
were made (from "SPI is too expensive" to "we're big enough and need
more control").  I think these reasons make much more sense for a
foundation, and it's in line with Sam's arguments; unfortunately I
don't think the platform does a good job of setting out the reasons
why Debian should have its own org (it mostly focuses on unhappiness
with the current TO structure and the service of several TOs.)

So I'm more satisfied with the rationale of creating a Debian
foundation, although my concerns about the actual operations still
apply (i.e. how are you going to make sure you'll do a better job than
the TOs you're not happy with when there have been countless failures
of running non-profits in the past).

--
Martin Michlmayr
https://www.cyrius.com/