Re: Some thoughts about Diversity and the CoC

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 at 23:54:16 +0000, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> I think when people personally feel excluded/diminished/pick your term
> then it's appropriate to work on how to frame things to see how to make
> them feel welcome (e.g. if someone is more comfortable being referred
> to by they, then I think it's appropriate to use it).  That's not how
> I read Simon's request.  I read as being speculative that maybe the
> wording might make someone uncomfortable, not about anything they were
> directly experiencing.

For what it's worth, I didn't intend to imply that phrasing it as "init
diversity" was offensive, exclusionary or a code-of-conduct issue, it
hadn't occurred to me that someone might interpret my message that way,
and I'm sorry that my phrasing didn't make that clear.

Chris and Ian expressed what I was trying to say better than I could.

    smcv