Re: Proposal to overturn init systems premature GR

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> writes:
>> Quoting Russ Allbery (2019-12-03 19:19:50)

I took Russ' advice and slept on this; I had rather expected a response
from Sam by now.

>>> Does anyone truly believe that another round of wordsmithing or changes
>>> to statements of principles will change a lot of opinions or votes this
>>> deep into this discussion?
>
>> Evidently someone truly believes there is need for another round.
>
> I probably didn't express this well enough, but the reason why I was using
> the phrasing that I did was to ask Ian and Matthew to think about whether
> the work that they were planning on doing is as important as it seemed at
> first glance.

I think it plausibly might result in improvements either to that
particular resolution (in the form of some concrete proposals to go with
the statement of principles) or to a related resolution (in the form of
tying some persuasive statement of principles to an extant set of
concrete proposals).

Also, I think in the circumstances its important that everyone gets a
reasonable opportunity to revise their proposals, and that the GR is
clearly a fair process. The DPL's recent actions have given a number of
people disquiet in that regard.

Regards,

Matthew

--
"At least you know where you are with Microsoft."
"True. I just wish I'd brought a paddle."