Re: Proposal: General Resolution on Init Systems and systemd Facilities

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> Sam Hartman writes:

>> It's my intent today or tomorrow to accept the amendment and to update
>> the discussion period to continue to expire on November 30.

> I think a decision to shorten the minimum discussion period from the
> constitutional default would be highly inappropriate.  This is a
> highly controversial issue which has existed for years and we are
> intending here to resolve for the very long term.  As Simon Richter
> puts it, time spent now getting it right is time well spent.

Sam said that he'd be willing to delay if needed if an additional proposal
received enough seconds to be on the ballot.

I think it's important that we hold this vote sufficiently clear of the
winter holidays that we don't run into trouble with low participation.  To
me, that implies that the absolute latest we should start this vote is on
December 8th.

How about this compromise:

* Sam sets the conclusion of the discussion period to November 30th for
  the current ballot, which would probably result in a vote starting on
  December 1st (giving the Secretary some time to set up the vote).  I
  think the current ballot options are fairly stable.

* If any new proposal receives enough seconds to gain a slot on the ballot
  by November 27th, Sam agrees that he will reset the discussion period to
  end on somewhere between December 4th and 7th.  (I personally would just
  lock down the 7th for that contingency, but leaving this open in case
  there's some reason I'm missing to end a bit earlier.)  That will
  provide at least an additional week to hammer out any remaining wording
  problems with that option.