Re: Draft text on Init Systems GR

Hi Brian

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 01:10:58AM -0500, Brian Gupta wrote:
> Do you think it's ok in any case to remove init scripts. Let's say an
> upstream stops maintaining init scripts,

I would like to know if this is a real world problem.  Please provide an
example of a package where the init script actually comes from upstream
and is not maintained in debian/*.init and installed by dh_installinit.

Init scripts are inherent incompatible between distributions.  One
designed for RedHat or, worse, SUSE will not really work on a Debian
system, due to differences in used tools.  LSB tried to standardize
that, but this effort is dead as well.

Regards,
Bastian

--
Totally illogical, there was no chance.
		-- Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3