Re: having public irc logs?

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 06:33:06AM +0000, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
> The problem is not Debian vs me, but Debian vs a lot of people keeping
> logs on their personal laptops + some servers around the world.

If you think that creating a central IRC log service will make people
stop logging Debian channels, you need to think again.

Many people don't keep logs as a personal choice, but because the
default in many (most?) IRC clients is to enable logging. If you want
that to change, you'll have to get all IRC clients in Debian to switch
that off, which I think is unlikely to happen.

Additionally, many of us don't log "just" Debian channels; instead, they
log all their channels. For me, that includes stuff like a few upstreams
who do lots of stuff on IRC, and FOSDEM channels. Creating a Debian IRC
logging service will not make those go away. Since it's easier to enable
logging as a global switch in many clients (indeed, I wouldn't be
surprised to learn that in most cases it's the only option), people will
still want to log Debian channels.

And that's even ignoring the fact that "leaking things from IRC" is not,
in my opinion, a viable threat that we should protect against.

Although I don't agree with it, I can understand the argument "we might
want to have a public IRC logging service to make things easier for
people". I do not, however, buy the argument "we need a central IRC
logging service for security". It makes no sense.

--
< ron> I mean, the main *practical* problem with C++, is there's like a dozen
       people in the world who think they really understand all of its rules,