Re: Questions for DPL candidates: Support channels

On 03/31/2017 01:26 AM, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 11:54 PM, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
>
>> Do you think a HW Certification Process should be available for Debian ?
>
> I note that some hardware vendors are asking for one, one example here:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/7CBC77DE593A114587C3D1A3C385EAAFB54CA8@MAILBX03.quanta.corp

Even more, from my experience, the availability of an HCL (ie: Hardware
Compatibility List) is mandatory for some vendors to choose Debian. At
$work, I've been told that Debian wouldn't an option for it.

I had thoughts about this, and the only way I see it happening, is by
having some kind of software comparable to Ubuntu's "Checkbox", with
some report on our website. Then through this process, offer vendors the
possibility to put a "Debian compatible" logo on their website. To avoid
trademark issues, this logo *must* be different from the standard Debian
logo.

Note that I am convince the FSF initiative (I can't remember the ugly
website name, sorry...) is *not* a correct response to this need. We
need our own thing.

If one was to start such initiative, I'd be happy to help.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)