Re: having public irc logs?

On 08/04/2017 12:32, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
> the problem is not having access to the logs, the problem is having a
> "common/shared way of doing it" It would be mostly fine even to just have a
> password protected irc log server, only accessible to DDs.

It is not totally the same though. IRC lists people in channels. Most of the
users are not bots. So it is fine people record channel's activity as long as
they are listed as present in channels. It tells us who is able to read channels
conversations. People not there cannot. Putting logs on a servers (even
password protected) changes this logic. Putting an IRC logger is really fine
as long as you keep logs for you exclusive personal use.

Also, putting logs on a server contradicts your point below. Why would
Debian servers be less subject to cyber attacks than yours? Thinking about
it, it is even the contrary, IMO.

> […]
>> There are simple technical measures that you could personally put in place
>> to follow some channels.
>
> Yes sure, just I have some bad feeling about doing so. I can put a server in
> place, what would happen if the server gets hacked and conversations put out
> there? How can I prevent a server running 24/7 from being super secured when
> opened with an online access?

Same could happen with your personal machine. The problem is not specific
to remote servers connected to internet. Also, as said above, same could
happen with an official Debian server.

> lots of people are already logging irc conversations, the probability of
> leaks increase with the number of people doing that. Security might also mean
> to have a single point of sharing knowledge, not a lot of them.

The issue at hand is not technical, really. We only assess that logs belong
to anyone present in the channel. It is personal, and not a common property.
If you want to follow the discussion, you can join the channel. At least,
that's how I understand it.

Also, one may argue that discussions happening at DebConf are even more
important than the few conversations we have on IRC. Yet, we do not record
conversations happening outside talk/BoF rooms.

--
Mehdi