Re: Questions for DPL candidates: Support channels

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 11:07 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> Even more, from my experience, the availability of an HCL (ie: Hardware
> Compatibility List) is mandatory for some vendors to choose Debian. At
> $work, I've been told that Debian wouldn't an option for it.

Would this count as a HCL for your $work?

https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn

> I had thoughts about this, and the only way I see it happening, is by
> having some kind of software comparable to Ubuntu's "Checkbox", with
> some report on our website. Then through this process, offer vendors the
> possibility to put a "Debian compatible" logo on their website. To avoid
> trademark issues, this logo *must* be different from the standard Debian
> logo.

For reference:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Checkbox
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Automation/Checkbox

Some related projects:

https://linux-hardware.org/
https://github.com/linuxhw/hw-probe (warning, quite invasive)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smolt_(Linux)
https://en.opensuse.org/Smolt
http://bugs.debian.org/435058
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Smolt_retirement

> Note that I am convince the FSF initiative (I can't remember the ugly
> website name, sorry...) is *not* a correct response to this need. We
> need our own thing.

I guess you mean one of these two:

https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom
https://h-node.org/