Re: Question for DPL candidates: Teetotaler outreach

Hi Adrian,

On 31/03/2017 16:36, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first of all thanks a lot for running.
>
> Both of you consider outreach important.
>
> People not drinking alcohol are half of all adults in the world, but
> we are under-represented in free software. Unfortunately far too many
> people mistake alcohol for a social lubricant, and might not even notice
> that for many people terms like "beersigning" do not at all sound like fun.
>
> How do you plan to create a more welcoming environment for people not
> drinking alcohol, and reach out to teetotalers?

First, thanks for asking this question!

I do not drink alcohol myself. And I have to admit that I never felt
unwelcome during Debian events or even those advertised as "beersigning".
I've always substituted "beer" with "beverage" in mind when reading it in
announces. Event organizes have been careful enough to provide non-alcoholic
alternatives, even during "Cheese and Wine" parties.

I agree that we should avoid advertising events by highlighting the fact
that there will be beers (or other sorts of alcohol). We should not be
encouraging drinking alcohol, nor use it to attract people to social events.

--
Mehdi