Re: Proposed GR: Repeal the 2005 vote for declassification of the debian-private mailing list

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 03:16:55PM +0200, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
> This is a very well defined goal that you have here. If you do care
> and do volunteer for the task, why don't you try to identify the
> relevant messages for your historic interest, and propose a process to
> declassify only this subset, perhaps by contacting the original
> authors individually if this is an option?

While apt is considered a pretty boring and non-core topic nowadays for
some reason, 19+ years ago in its infancy as "deity" it was a pretty hot
topic generating hundreds of mails on d-d@ in a single month for months
and perhaps similar amounts "elsewhere" involving many 'core' people
Debian has long since lost contact with one way or the other and is "by
design" heavily interwoven with many other topics in that timeframe
(public or not) influencing each other.

You perhaps don't realize it as apt looks like an all around success
being around for so long and being used by so many, but the deity
project was a massive failure as it achieved nearly none of its initial
goals on a technical front and kept on failing in various social aspects
as well. So beside that this is a big one which you don't want to use as
testing ground for a process, but rather only after there is a well
tested one in effect (which ideally has freed some subtopics already),
you might also don't want to have it as a first for "marketing" reasons…

Beside: Is that really how it should be done? Debian decides not to
touch the past, but any random developer might decide to ignore that and
run his own process anyhow with his/her own rules… I don't think so.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies