Re: Proposed GR: Repeal the 2005 vote for declassification of the debian-private mailing list

Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <odyx@debian.org> writes:

> I now also tend to think that we, as a collection of individuals, also
> need some sort of "safe space" to discuss certain things, that can't be
> public.  Some of these things can't immediately be public, and some
> other things can't ever. Separating both is a herculean task, which is
> why I'm not suprised noone has really started, especially not within the
> 2005 GR canvas. d-private can only be a good safe-space if its privacy
> promise will hold forever.

Furthermore, I think it's unrealistic that such a space won't exist.  If
we remove debian-private on the grounds that it's contrary to project
goals, that email will just move into private email threads cc'd to
leader@ or DAM, and become even less transparent.

This is a human thing, not a technical thing.

Likewise, that's why the correct points about how non-private
debian-private is in practice aren't really on point.  Often the concern
isn't full-blown confidentiality, but casual searchability or just the
desire to not have to immediately deal with reactions (including via
private email) from the general Internet.