Re: Proposed GR: Repeal the 2005 vote for declassification of the debian-private mailing list

On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 05:07:47PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> As I read the messages the principles which are partly in conflict (or
> which seem to be in conflict) are:

I think the "conflict" runs much deeper in that we have different
opinions on a) what a useful declassification is and b) who is
responsible for d-private, which ends in:

>  4. But, any weakening of the privacy expectations must not be
>     retrospective: changes should apply only to messages posted after
>     the rule change has come into force.

That rule /might/ make sense if we are talking about fully automated
declassification of everything at once – which is a pretty involved task
I have a lot of sympathy for nobody tried that so far.

If on the other hand we consider less than 100% a declassification
already this rule blocks a lot of potentially interesting things from
being released to the public about the past.

Basic example: How many mails are sent to d-private each month? We know
that for public archived lists. We even know that for less public lists
like d-companies, but for d-private that is classified information…
(that is perhaps not "weakening privacy" for an individual, but for the
dev-body as a whole if your reading is very strict. Many things I am
thinking of aren't directly related to individuals in fact…)

My personal idea of declassification (I might or might not help with)
was an archive with thread-view just like for the other lists, but
everything (sender, subject, …) is classified by default. Then you can
add little labels on the archive tagging VAC, never/maybe/always-
declassify, expulsions, … messages as such (see also Enricos enhanced