Re: Q to all candidates: spending money

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 08:06:26PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 06:44:45PM +0000, Neil McGovern wrote:
> > * Outreach. Every team complains (quite rightly!) about the lack of
> > people to do the work. Yet we seem to be rather poor at actively
> > recruiting people to come and do things for us. Outreachy is a great
> > initiative, and I would love to see a Debian Apprentice scheme (though
> > that's probably a bit of a stretch goal!)
>
> So, to be clear: would you authorize to use regular Debian funds to
> sponsor Debian participation into Outreachy (which costs ~6000 USD per
> intern), rather than going necessarily through dedicated fund raising
> campaigns at each edition?

Not quite. I'd basically guarantee a minimum number of slots, but still
expect the fund raising to take place. Essentially, Debian would be the
backer in case there's not enough funds raised.

> Considering that there are 2 Outreachy sessions per years, how many
> slots per year do you think it would be sensible funding on general
> Debian funds?

Speaking to Tom (who's running around and seems to be doing most of the
leg work from what I can see), 2 per session, 4 total per year would be
preferable.

Neil