Re: Q to all candidates: dropping SC §5

Hi,

Le 2015-03-16 08:59, Stefano Zacchiroli a écrit :
On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 09:31:03AM +0100, Gergely Nagy wrote:
So, the only way I could see the drop of SC §5 as a worthwhile goal,
is if we also removed non-free (and possibly contrib) too.

I respect this point of view, even though I disagree with it: I think it is desirable to drop SC §5, without (at least at the same time) dropping
contrib/non-free from our infrastructure.

Can you elaborate on why dropping §5 is desirable for us? As currently
worded, Debian acknowledges the existence of this area and even says that it doesn't meet our free software standards. It also explains that packages
from the non-free or contrib areas are not part of the Debian system.

I can understand that some people or organizations are not happy with the
fact that we provide non-free software integrated into Debian... but is
hiding it in a (documented) repository area will make things better?

As explained elsewhere, this enables some of ours users [1] to use our system based on free software and a little part that is non-free. Which is a good compromise, since the existence of non-free area and having packages there correctly maintained made possible to run Debian at all. It takes users to explicitly install those non-free bits though and it is not automatic (and should remain as such). This increases their level of awareness wrt non-free
works... which is a good thing (somehow).

Also, you explained that packages in non-free or contrib areas are maintained
on a best-effort basis. How is this different from main?

[1] http://stefano.zacchiroli.usesthis.com/

Best Regards,

--
Mehdi