Re: Legitimate exercise of our constitutional decision-making processes [Was, Re: Tentative summary of the amendments]

Hi,

Le mercredi 29 octobre 2014 à 09:22 +0000, Philip Hands a écrit :
> Of course, for the likes of Gnome, voting for Option 1 really will have
> an immediate effect, which will be to completely demotivate our Gnome
> maintainers, since this would be a vote against them.
>
> I think Debian without Gnome would be a diminished thing, and that seems
> like a reasonably likely outcome of Option 1 passing.

I agree with most of what you said, but I really have to point out that
this is not just about GNOME. In the current state of affairs, it is
about GNOME, KDE, Xfce, MATE and Cinnamon. Basically any use of Debian
on a desktop with 21st century features.

And, even more importantly in my opinion, it is about having a modern
init system that is suitable for embedded developers and server
administrators. It is about being able to package server software
without asking yourself how many bugs there are in your init script. To
reduce development load by sharing non-Debian-specific things with other
distributions.

Which is why sticking to the lowest common denominator among init
systems is the worst thing we could do as a project.

> If nobody cares to do the work, there is no need for it to be done.

Amen to that, a thousand times.

 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :
`. `'