Re: Tentative summary of the amendments

Hi,

Aigars Mahinovs <aigarius@gmail.com> writes:
> This is the same requirement as with regular dependencies. If you want
> into next release, then all your dependencies must be there.

No, it's not. In the past your package P could depend on A|B and
everything was fine if either A or B was there. If B was broken and
only A remained, then the people wishing to use B over A had to fix B.

Now some people propose to push the task of maintaining B to the people
maintaining P or A.

In fact, they want to require that if P supports only A (and not A|B)
that the maintainers of P have to patch P to make it support B. In the
good old days[tm] it would be the responsibility of the people wanting
to use B to submit patches to make P work with B (but here I suspect
many people demanding support for B do not even use P[1]...).

Ansgar

  [1] In particular I heard somebody asked if anybody wanted to help
      with this work and from my understanding the response was not
      very enthusiastic... Why patch something you don't use after all?