Re: GR proposal, Call for Seconds - term limit for the tech-ctte

]] Philip Hands

> Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:
>
> > ]] Stefano Zacchiroli
> >
> >> I'm hereby formally submitting the GR proposal included below between
> >> dashed double lines, and calling for seconds.  With respect to past
> >> discussions on the -vote mailing list, this is the proposal code-named
> >> "2-S"; see [1,2] for (the last known versions of) alternative proposals.
> >
> > I like the term limit concept.  I'm wondering if we should have a wider
> > proposal in which we just make the CTTE an elected body.  I'm not sure
> > it's a good idea, but I'm also not sure if it's been discussed at all
> > (only having followed some of the -vote discussions around this from the
> > web archives).
>
> Wouldn't it have been great if the various factions around the systemd
> issue had got the idea early on to try to stuff the committee with their
> respective friends before the decision.

If we assume four-year terms, that'd have been, at max, two members out
of the eight.

> Personally I think there's more than enough voting going on as it is,
> and adding reasons to have more regular votes will just promote the idea
> (that is already rather hard to dissuade people of) that all one needs to
> do is vote for a thing, and somehow it will magically do itself.

I'm not seeing people having that idea.

> It does not strike me as obvious that popularity correlates to
> competence.  Also, it would not be helpful if members of the committee
> were tempted to take the popular side of an argument, against their
> better judgement, because they were coming to the end of their term, and
> they would like to be reelected.

If that's the only reason, make it so people can sit for a maximum of
one term before being off the committee for a full term and that effect
more or less vanishes.

I'm not saying «We should absolutely have an elected TC», I'm saying
that I think it's something that's worth discussing.

As for Zack's point about this process being underway already: yes,
that's the point.  If we want to change things about the TC, let's put
out a comprehensive proposal instead of changing one thing now and
another thing in six or twelve months.

--
Tollef Fog Heen