Re: Re-Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems

Simon Richter <Simon.Richter@hogyros.de> writes:
> On 17.10.2014 16:54, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>>> If the fix is not easy then we have three options: the release team
>>> mark it `jessie-ignore', the GNOME maintainers fix it, or GNOME is
>>> removed from jessie.
>
>> The implication here appears to be troubling for any upstream who wants
>> to rely on specific features of a given initsystem.
>
> The implication of not making sure packages get along with each other
> may be that system administrators need to decide which of the mutually
> exclusive desktop systems they can offer their users.

That's however not what the proposal forbids: A can depend on
init-A|init-B, B can depend on init-B|init-C and C can depend on
init-C|init-A. There's no way to install both A, B and C.

> No, but I think we should reject packages that are mutually exclusive
> with unrelated packages because they require incompatible choices of
> packages they depend on.

Again, this does seem to be a different issue than what the GR proposes.

Ansgar