Re: All DPL candidates: Debian assets

Hi Neil,

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 06:44:24PM +0000, Neil McGovern wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 04:02:57PM +0000, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 10:44:07PM +0100, Neil McGovern wrote:
> > > At the moment, in just SPI, we have > 100k USD awaiting being spent.
> > > As an indication, that’s enough for a DebConf without any sponsors!
> > > Our donations should be spent. Be that better porter boxes, or a
> > > better backup service, or simply making sure our core machines are
> > > replaced regularly.

> > Lucas and Neil, what are your opinions on spending some of that money
> > on frequent springs, e.g., for bug fixing?

> I'm a lot more relaxed than Lucas about spending our excess money in
> this way. If there's an organised BSP or event, then applying to Debian
> through the DPL is very useful. However, I'd expect the organisers of
> the BSP/sprint/whatever to seek local sponsorship as well if possible.

Do you think it's appropriate for these organizers to use Debian's name in
seeking local sponsorship without consulting the DPL?

I ask because in many cases, our "local" sponsors are the same as our
"global" sponsors.  From a Debian fundraising POV, I am concerned about the
idea of individual DDs soliciting contributions to Debian in an
uncoordinated manner, that could jeopardize our future ability to secure
sponsorship from them at the global level.

There have indeed been several events in the past year organized at the
local/regional level that were sponsored by companies that are regular
sponsors of DebConf, and while there is no evidence that this has negatively
impacted DebConf fundraising (it's possible that these sponsors have
increased their overall sponsorship because of the local angle, rather than
it taking away from money they would've given to Debian globally), I think
DDs soliciting sponsorship in Debian's name is something that should only be
done with central approval.  What are your thoughts on how this should be
handled?