Re: Both DPL candidates: handling social conflict

On 21 Mar 2014, at 14:42, Filippo Rusconi <lopippo@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 02:10:01PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 01:44:54PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>>> While I understand the question, I'm not sure this is very relevant.
>>>
>>> Yes, Debian is about promoting the cause of free software; and yes,
>>> actually *using* free software is a very good (first) way to promote
>>> its cause.
>>
>> I'll encourage everyone interested in these topics to read this, very
>> influential for me, essay by Mako:
>>
>> Free Software Needs Free Tools
>> http://mako.cc/writing/hill-free_tools.html
>>
>> Also, +1 to Paul's mail. The DPL is a rather special case. I certainly
>> don't fancy Debian being slashdotted due to the DPL using non-free
>> software publicly, at the very least as long as suitable Free
>> alternatives exist.
>
> Undoubtedly
> +1
>
> to Paul and Zack.
>
> Did we not *eagerly* endure, fifteen years ago, highly unstable
> software (October GNOME, anyone ?) because we thought that by using it
> we were going to unavoidably better it, for the cause of software
> freedom?
> Nowadays Free Software has become so usable, Neil must have an
> explanation for not using it to post messages. Let him tell us maybe
> that he had to borrow a computer... He will certainly have a story to
> tell.

Indeed, I’m currently away on VAC skiing at the moment, see my mail to -private.
I thought it may be useful to reply as soon as possible to any -vote mails, rather than waiting until I get back to my main machine.

If you’re after a candidate that will refuse to touch anything proprietary, even if it helps to further the progress of the project due to an idealogical allergy to anything non-free, you probably should vote for another candidate, possibly RMS. My aim is to promote Debian, and to lead the project in the best way I can. If that involves using OS X while I’m meant to be away from a computer all together, so be it.

Neil